Themaintenance of marble, a natural stone that is quite porous and sensitive to stains, should not be carried out anyhow.
Some cleaning products are even harmful to your marble, and should be avoided at all costs. We will start by talking to you about products and tips to clean marble and give it a shine, then about those that represent a risk and could damage your marble with wear and tear.
What are the best products to use to maintain marble furniture?
Most all-purpose cleaners contain ingredients that will damage marble over time. Fortunately, there are other options if you want to maximize the life of your furniture, whether it's a dining room table or a countertop:
- The good old Marseille soap on a damp sponge: wash, rinse and wipe;
- Black soap: use in the same way as Marseille soap;
- Meudon white and turpentine: soak a cloth in the mixture, use it to wash the marble surface and then wipe;
- Glycerine: wash your furniture with a soft cloth impregnated with glycerine, then wipe with a flannel cloth. This is the ideal solution for restoring the shine of marble;
- Soda crystals: on very dirty marble, rub with a sponge moistened with a solution of hot water and soda crystals (one cup of crystals for 1L of water). Rinse with clear water and a microfiber cloth;
- The clay stone: clean your marble furniture with a sponge moistened with clay stone.
How to protect the marble of your furniture?
The maintenance of furniture also involves protecting it. To protect your marble furniture, we recommend waxing it. You can use an ordinary wax or a wax designed for car bodies. It sounds strange, but it works!
How do you restore marble to its original shine?
To restore marble to its former glory, petroleum jelly is the most effective product. Use a cloth soaked in Vaseline and gently polish the surface of the furniture.
How to fill cracks in damaged marble furniture?
To fill visible cracks in your marble, use hot colorless kerosene. Let it dry, then gently remove the excess with a spatula before waxing your furniture, and you're done!
What are the products to avoid to properly maintain a marble piece of furniture?
To avoid damaging the marble of your furniture, it is essential to know which products to avoid for their maintenance. If you want to maximize the life of your marble furniture, our team recommends that you never wash it with the following products:
- Acidic products such as vinegar or lemon;
- Chemical products (anti-limescale is particularly harmful);
If you ever need to use a chemical or acidic product, pour it on a cloth instead of directly on the marble. Wash with small dabs, then rinse immediately.